In this episode, Owen explains the most important things you need to know in order to change any behavior for the long term.
New Years Resolutions often don’t involve the same level of resolve that ‘Resolutions’ promise.
We expect we are going to fail. A Pre-solution means planning ahead to ensure that you can handle whatever challenges try and stop you from making a positive change in your life. Handling the resistance that often gets in your way in crucial to do if you want a new behavior to last. Here are the key components to success:
- Set a Clear Goal of exactly what you want to achieve
- Identify the challenges that are likely to get in your way
- Understand the Resources you have available and design the Strategy
- Build Motivation by understanding the WHY (towards and away from)
- Dig Deeper beneath the Snapshot and understand what’s involved
- Schedule it and break in down into chunks and milestones
- Link new behaviors with other behaviours you already do
- Create an if-when-then strategy where you
- Become aware of what you are doing and of the Progress you are making
- Become the kind of person that you would need to be to achieve the goal or regularly engage in that new behavior.
Some recommended Books and Resources: